Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Bait-and-Switch

Yesterday, I opened up a newly purchased package of cheese to find that it had gone moldy (mouldy, if you are reading from any other English-speaking country).  So, of course, being of the American persuasion, I decided to make a quick hop to the grocery store to return it.

Not an odd cultural observation?  While I am apt to return things that are legitimately broken, don't suit the purpose for which they were bought, or have gone moldy (mouldy), many people here seem to find this practice strange and perhaps, a bit 'pushy American' of me.

For the most part, when I have had to return things or ask for exchanges here in Spain, this has been done with a smile and quick accommodation on the part of the seller.  Though, the general population here still appears to be a bit resistant to the whole 'customer is always right' philosophy.  Am I always right?  Most certainly not.  But when I do choose to make a complaint or return something, I usually have put in the effort to solve the 'Should I return this or not?' equation.  Simply put, Value of item + Satisfaction of just outcome - Effort expended to get my inherently lazy self out the door and complete transaction in a foreign language = X.

X = Sit at home or Head out the door.

So when regarding the moldy cheese yesterday, X equaled go time, and so I went.

First transaction: the lady at the customer service desk spoke Catalan, so I was golden.  I speak much better Catalan than Spanish, as Jordi's family's home language is such, and I have very little time to practice my (pathetic) Spanish skills.  She told me to find a replacement cheese and direct the cashier in her direction when in line to pay.

Second transaction: After getting replacement cheese, picked a line with a Catalan-looking lady at the helm (and taking a peek at her name tag, deciding it was likely she would be able converse with me in my preferred language).  Still, I always prep my speech in my head prior to interaction, as going off the cuff often results in a tied tongue, sweaty forehead, and a confused conversation partner.  Person in front of me finishes paying, and I step in front of the cashier, ready to interact.

And a decidedly South American-looking woman slides in behind my Catalan cashier with her cash tray, ready to switch shifts.

It was all downhill from there.

I said something like: Woman. There. Change cheese. Me American.  Me good Spanish no.  No. No.  Bad cheese.  No good Spanish.  Me want cookies.  Om nom nom.  Cooookies!

She (rightly) said: ¿Que?

I needed to rework my equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment