Friday, February 17, 2012

Sicky sicky sicky not sicky

Well, the whole family caught the bug, with the exception of Mr. Bean.  Hope those antibodies in my milk are kicking the ass of whatever virus is going around.  Apparently it is a quick bug, with most symptoms hitting the pavement within 24-hours.  Monkey Lou has been much better today, chipper with loads of boogers coming out of her nose.  Last night her fever was up to 39.4 (103) and would not go down despite ibuprofen, paracetamol, and wet towels.  And two more seizures to boot.  The second one was more of an absence seizure, not a jerky tonic-clonic, and she started to get a bit blue in the face, so we called an ambulance, thinking they would arrive with oxygen supply quickly.  It took 25 minutes, by when the seizure had stopped and Monkey Lou was quite lumpy and not really responding except for looking all around.  Papa had to take her to the hospital while I stayed back with Mr. Bean, marking the first time that I'd not traveled in the ambulance with my little girl.  I teared up a bit as the medic carried her down the stairs, but the frequent text messages and updates helped me relax.  Oddly, they didn't take her blood to check for infection, per usual our visits there.  Instead, they did a blood prick to check her blood sugar (having a diabetic sister and father, this is a good idea), and then wanted to check her pee for some reason.  But she wouldn't go, so they finally released her at 1am.  I was so happy when her Papa carried her in and she started saying 'Mama, Mama, where are you?'  Monkey Lou was more her normal self.  Unfortunately, our battle with this virus was not quite over yet.

 I started having a bit of a tight chest last night, woke up a bit achy this morning, had the shakes around 11am, 38.9 (102) degree fever by 1pm, and am now slightly lower but feeling loads better.  Hubby on the other hand is about three hours behind me in the evolution of the disease, starting to shiver around 2pm and now huddled in Monkey Lou's bed with the covers and a 38.3 (101) temp.  He was reluctant to call in reinforcements, but I finally made him call his mama about an hour ago.  She arrived with his sister in tow, and now Mr. Bean and Monkey Lou are being taken care of in the other room while the husband sleeps it off and I write this post.  Technically I am supposed to be sleeping, but I find it difficult to sleep when I have a fever.  Everything hurts and I just can't get to the point where I pass out.

Sitting in a room on my own (for the first time in months, I think) is rest enough.  And I hear the distinct clatter of my dishes being washed.  Plus, the MIL and SIL brought over soup and get-better food which makes me want to hurl right now, but perhaps later.

Right now all I want is my big jug of water and to watch the new episode of Project Runway All-Stars.

By the way, this week was a vacation week, and here is the breakdown of what we were supposed to do, and what we ended up doing....

Monday: Trip to Lleida - car breaks down on the way - sat around at home
Tuesday: Trip to La Roca Outlets - car has another issue, goes back to the mechanic - sat around at home
Wednesday: Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor, trip to La Roca Outlets - waited for almost two hours for appointment, car was still not ready, Monkey Lou ended up having a seizure
Thursday: Trip to La Roca Outlets - cancelled due to Monkey's illness, two more seizures, trip to ER
Friday: Monkey all better - Mama and Papa down for the count
Saturday: Hubby is supposed to meet up with is friends, go out to dinner, 'party, party'...we'll see if he rallies.  Probably not the best play, but it is up to him, I'm not saying anything...

Unless he is completely useless on Sunday morning...then I might really have to work on holding my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment